Pages

Sunday 16 November 2014

Bird watching - Sunday Stamps

When I stay at my daughter's home I always have a field guide, "Birds of Michigan" with me.

This time, while we were there, the bird we saw most frequently was the Blue Jay.

Unfortunately it does not appear on this series of stamps from the USA.

USA - Song Birds

Of these I have only ever seen, not this time, an Eastern Bluebird and the American Goldfinch.

I will have other birds to show you on stamps in two weeks time when Viridian is setting us birds again as the theme.

To see what others have chosen for this week's 'anything you wish' visit Sunday-Stamps-196.

10 comments:

Postcardy said...

I have some of those that I have been using on mail.

Joy said...

Beautiful set of stamps, the bird tables of Michigan must be very colourful.

21 Wits said...

Being a Michigander myself you know I like this post of lovely colors! I remember Blue Jays and Cardinals a lot, even here in Minnesota, except possibly a few more sparrows here, but the good old Robin Michigan's state bird, I used to see them all the time, even in Minnesota. Aren't they so common there anymore I wonder?

Jo said...

We used to see a lot of those birds when we lived in NC. Many of them at our feeders and nesting boxes. Used to love the Scarlet Tanager. One of my favourites was the Blue Bunting - there is also a Painted Bunting which some people (including Matt) saw but I never did, a multi coloured bird.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Painted Buntings!?

They're in Michigan? I was just lamenting the fact that I don't see them in W.V. at TexWiscGirls place. (She has some photos of them up.)
~

viridian said...

Some of these must be forest birds, not backyard birds, because I've never seen them. Robins and sparrows here.
thank you for joining in this week.

Bob Scotney said...

The Michigan Field Guide only shows the Indigo Bunting not the Painted.

Jo said...

Maybe Painted Buntings are only in the South. Certainly scarce even in NC and mostly seen around waterways.

violet s said...

Well, I'm not sure I would call a Jay a 'songbird'!! Maybe that is why he isn't included. lovely set, though. I especially like the orange of the Baltimore Oriole.

Lisa B said...

a very pretty selection of birds, makes some of our poor sparrows look quite drab in comparison, mind you some of them do have character :)