Pages

Sunday 17 January 2016

Water Birds - Sunday Stamps II

Having used my British stamps before I had to look for something else this week.

'Cor, love a duck' is an old saying and it was American ducks that I found first.

USA - Wood Ducks
This stamp to commemorate waterfowl conversation was issued on 24 October 1968. This colourful bird is known as a 'perching' duck since it rests on, and nests in holes in, trees.

I chose two stamps from Norway because I could see the birds they showed had webbed feet.

Norway - 1981
Cepphus Grylle is the black guillemot.

Alle Alle is the little auk.

Norway - 1983

Recently many of these birds have been blown across the North Sea by gales and unfortunately many have perished in Scotland as a result.

As far as I can see the bird on my next stamp does not have webbed feet.

Fiji - 1995
With a name like purple swamphen it just has to be a water bird.

To see other birds you need to fly over to, and get your feet wet at Sunday-Stamps-ii-57.

12 comments:

Joy said...

I like the 'snowy' background to the Norwegian stamps which makes the birds stand out. Swamp chicken is such a funny name.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - love the photos and the commentary. The different feet have evolved so much relative to their surroundings ... the swamphen with its large foot area, spaced by the claw feet giving it the ability to almost walk across water.

Nature is sending birds off in all directions this year ... but it does sort itself out - if we give the species a chance. Wonderful selection of birds - cheers and oh yes 'love a duck' ... such a good saying ... cheers Hilary

FinnBadger said...

Great selection as always - love that swamp hen! That's a sad story about the birds blown way off course. Nature can be brutal sometimes.

Mail Adventures said...

The flying ducks on the first stamp are my favourite.

VioletSky said...

I have been known to squeal with delight when I see a wood duck! They are so colourful and cute.
Interesting that both the Norwegian ducks are black.
(and I say "lord, love a duck" all the time. not sure why, but it has become a favourite saying these last few years. I assume my mother used to say it)

21 Wits said...

Goodness sweet birds!

Jo said...

Love the little Alle Alle. That is a cute stamp. I'm sad to hear the birds got blown to Scotland and then perished. Nature can be so cruel.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I do not know much about such exotic birds, Bob but that last one resembles a Coot, doesn't it or doesn't it?...:)JP

Bob Scotney said...

@ A Quiet Corner - coots and swamphens are from the same family of rails apparently.

Heleen said...

Lovely stamps, all of them. Thank you for sharing, Bob!

Patsy said...

Beautiful.

When I was a child I collected stamps for a time. Those of foreign birds and animals were my favourites.

Caroline Gill said...

Yes, I also collected stamps. What a fine tystie! Such beautiful birds to watch ...